Thermostats play a vital role in every home automation system as most people are interested in optimizing their monthly energy charges with the help of cutting-edge technologies. In fact, your smart home is not complete without a smart thermostat. A thermostat is arguably the most vital part of a smart home as it can have the most noticeable effect on your energy bills. A Z Wave thermostat is a smart thermostat that pairs with your Z Wave hub and optimizes energy consumption.
So, if you want to know more about Z Wave thermostats, you have come to the right post. This article highlights what Z-wave thermostats are, their benefits, and some of the top Z Wave thermostats available in the market.
What Is a Z Wave Thermostat?
A Z Wave thermostat communicates wirelessly using the Z Wave protocol. It requires a Z Wave controller to function properly. If you have installed other Z Wave products in your home, the Z Wave thermostat acts as another node in your home automation web. If your smart home automation hub links to the internet, you will be able to control your thermostat from anywhere using your smartphone via an internet connection.
Z Wave thermostats allow you to monitor and adjust the temperature of your smart home for both cooling and heating. Some models have humidity sensors that monitor the relative humidity in your home. Since it is a smart thermostat, it communicates with other devices via your controller, which sets up smart control options.
Z Wave thermostats typically pair with your Z Wave hub, which is used in scheduling your home’s cooling and heating. This affords you reduced energy consumption, comfort, and minimizes utility expenses. You can alternatively have HVAC systems react to the sensors to help save energy and automate your home. Using your hub and smartphone, you can easily take over and control the temperature of your home, office, or vacation home from anywhere using only your smartphone.
Why Install the Z Wave Thermostat?
image via: flickr.com
Z Wave thermostats are smart. Smart thermostats can be controlled remotely using your smartphone. These devices offer the convenience of controlling them from anywhere in the world. They allow you to do things like ensuring that your home is in perfect temperature for comfort without the need of physically touching them.
It affords you the ultimate control of your smart home’s energy usage. You do not have to worry about the thermostat if you leave for vacation. You can shut it off remotely from your phone which saves energy. Smart thermostats have a high return on investment because they contribute to energy savings.
Z Wave Protocol
The Z Wave protocol is the name of one method for wireless communication between home automation devices. It uses standardized commands, which make it easier for other products using the same protocol to communicate with each other seamlessly. The protocol lets you build your control system as your needs grow, so you can introduce more devices in your smart home and still use the same hub.Z Wave functionality is compatible with any device in your house including home lighting, window shades, appliances, and of course thermostats. The protocol unifies all these home electronics via an integrated mesh network without complicated programming and doesn’t involve cables.New Z Wave devices can easily be added into the network, and many non-Z Wave products can easily be made compatible by plugging into a Z Wave accessory module. In seconds, you can easily have devices connected in the network and communicate wirelessly with other Z Wave modules and controllers. The protocol affords you complete control of your smart home.
Z Wave protocol has the following benefits:
image via: flickr.com
- It is simple to add new devices to the network
- It is modular, meaning that you can add as much control of your smart home over time
- Provides the best scalability
- Facilitates an interoperable ecosystem
- Energy efficient
- Uses secure encryption
- It is intelligent
- Can connect will many devices at one
- No need for cables
- Empowers innovation
The protocol is created so that different brands and types of products can talk to each other in a common language. This way, you can buy an automation controller, a motion sensor, and a thermostat from different companies, and they still work together seamlessly.
Z Wave also operates at a lower frequency compared to other wireless devices, which reduces the threat of interference with other wireless devices. The signals can travel further with less power and this improves reliability.
The devices form a mesh of network, and each plugged-in device within the network acts as a range extender. This means that as you add more devices, the network gets more reliable and stronger than before.
Benefits of a Z Wave Thermostat
- You will simplify your life since you can control the thermostat from your couch, even via voice control
- You will save money on energy bills, which is a smarter way to be efficient
- You can remotely control your thermostat so that your home is the perfect temperature when you arrive home
- You will avoid catastrophe as you can remotely monitor your home, rental, vacation home to avoid a malfunctioning heating system disaster
- You will save energy since the thermostat comes with motion sensors which turn the thermostat of if no motion is detected
- You will stay comfortable in your smart home since you can set schedules to ensure your home has the perfect temperature day and night
- You will benefit from full smart home integration as it affords you total home control with only one application
The Top Z Wave Thermostats
We have compiled the top Z Wave thermostats for you as follows:
GoControl Z- Wave Thermostat
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately).
- Z-Wave compatible - Ver. 4.5.5
- Supports Z-wave Flirs Functionality. The GC-TBZ48 works with most contemporary Central HVAC systems whether standard or heat pump which makes this thermostat a great solution for all retrofit or new construction needs. Wall mount or mounts on single-gang junction box
- Works On Standard Hvac Systems With 2-stage Heat & 2-stage Cool. USB firmware upgrade ability
- Works On Heat Pump Hvac Systems With 3-stage Heat & 2-stage Cool
The company provides a decent product with several features that work seamlessly together. It is compatible with a wide range of HVAC systems. A great hub and long-range support have enhanced its Z Wave capabilities. Besides, this thermostat can work with Amazon Alexa, but you will need a smart home hub for that.
The advantages include the fact that it works with Amazon Alexa, has the great support of heating and cooling (H/C) systems, and is compatible with most Z hub systems. However, it doesn’t support Z Wave plus and has an extremely limited display.
Trane Z Wave Thermostat
- Works with Alexa for voice control (hub required, Alexa device and hub sold separately);7 day programmable with up to 4 schedules per day. Only supports single stage (Y1) cooling
- Remote Control: Monitor and adjust your home's temperature and reduce energy consumption through your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- Easy install: Most people install the Trane XR524 thermostat in 30 minutes or less. NOTE: A 24 Volt common and hot wire MUST be connected to the control for operation. See manual for more details.
- Use It On The Go: The XR524 is Z-Wave compatible for use with leading home automation systems such as Nexia Home Intelligence. Communications: 908.42 MHz (Z-Wave RF)
- Filter and Maintenance Reminders: Send maintenance notifications and filter alerts to help extend the life of your HVAC system
Even though it has a slightly higher budget, it has the sturdiest build. You need a hub for it to work with Alexa and is extremely easy to set up. It has a sleek design and offers you full remote control of your smart home H/C systems through the Z Wave protocol.
It is advantageous since it allows for Amazon Alexa integration, easy to install, compatible with H/C systems, and is supported by most Z Wave hubs. However, it has a high budget and doesn’t support Z Wave plus.
2gig CT100 Z-Wave Thermostat
- Sleek 7-day programmable thermostat with touchscreen controls
- Works with Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, or Zig bee USNAP Modules. Module Not included
- The CT50 allows you to program up to 4 independent periods per day
- Control up to 2 stages of heat and 2 stages of cool
- Works with nearly any HVAC system - including traditional furnaces and heat pumps
It has a solid quality without the complexity of too many features. Even though the design is not the best in its class, it offers a touch functionality and back lamination. It is advantageous due to its low budget, has a minimalistic design, fully programmable, and a good communication range. However, the display doesn’t show too much information, and the design is somewhat outdated.
Honeywell YTH8320ZW1007/U Z-Wave Thermostat
- Stages up to 3 Heat / 2 Cool
- RedLINK wireless communication
- Precise temperature control (+/- 1° F) for reliable and consistent temperature
- Package weight of the Product: 9.6 Ounces
It has a minimalistic design case and a display that shows a clear differentiation between text and background, which makes it easy to read the temperature even in dark environments. It has a wire saver. It is advantageous because of its nice display, clean design, and is fully programmable. Honeywell is a renowned and well-established company, and there is no need of C wire to operate it. However, it has an extremely outdated design and a bit more expensive.
image via: pixabay.com
Z Wave is the next generation wireless ecosystem that allows smart home devices to talk to each other and you through remote control. The protocol uses reliable, simple, and low-power radio waves that can easily travel through cabinets, floors, and walls. Z Wave thermostats allow you to monitor and adjust the temperature of your smart home for both cooling and heating.
Z Wave thermostats typically pair with your Z Wave hub, which is used in scheduling your home’s cooling and heating. The thermostat will save money, simplify your life, allow you to control your thermostat, save energy, stay comfortable, and you can benefit from full smart home integration. We hope that this article has adequately addressed what Z-wave thermostats are, their benefits, and some of the top Z Wave thermostats available in the market.